Wednesday 15 July 2009

Home made strawberry jam


Two days ago,I bought some really nice strawberries to make a desert but I didn't have time to make it.I was thinking how I can use these strawberries and then I remembered my mum's home made jam.
In Turkey,April is the time to buy small,sweet and nice smelling strawberries.My mum was usually buying a couple of kilos and giving them to me to wash.I ate half of them as I washed :)
These days I don't have several kilos so I must save every single strawberry, no matter how delicious they look, to make my jam.


Ingredients

500 g strawberry
500 g caster sugar
1/2 lemon

Put all of the strawberries in a bowl and cover with sugar. Leave it overnight. The next day, you will notice all of the sugar has been absorbed by the strawberries and now you can see the sugary water and strawberry combination.
Put it in a saucepan. Heat the pan until the water becomes sticky. Take a spoonful and pour some of the mixture on to a dish. If its thick and doesnt run it means the jam is ready. Add the lemon juice to the mixture and stir before turning the heat off. Leave to cool and pour into a jar.

Spread some on your hot toasted bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment